Level 1: Students can:
- Read and write all Hiragana in the chart.
- Read and write Hiragana words in the textbook.
- Read simple sentences in Hiragana.
- Do greetings and self-introduction.
- Understand the first grade Japanese elementary school textbook, excluding Kanji.
Level 2: Students can:
- Read and write all Katakana in Katakana chart.
- Read, write, and understand simple short affirmative, negative, and interrogative sentences in present and past tense.
- Exchange greetings, self-introduction, and simple conversations; listen and talk to classmates and teachers in simple conversations, keeping in mind appropriate Japanese grammar.
- Read and write from 40-50 Kanji characters.
- Understand the first grade Japanese elementary school textbook, including Kanji.
- Use grammatically correct particles (te[de], ni, o, ha) and simple adjectives.
Level 3: Students can:
- Read and understand simple to complex sentences with adjective and adverb phrases and clauses.
- Compose simple sentences, including questions.
- Read approximately 300 Kanji and write 100 Kanji and learn how to use the Kanji dictionary.
- Converse in “daily life” settings, as if traveling in Japan.
- Read aloud and understand the third grade elementary school textbook.
- Conjugate and use grammatically correct verbs and adjectives.
Level 4: Students can:
- Read and understand subjunctive, indirect, and complex sentences.
- Compose descriptive sentences, including questions.
- Read approximately 800 Kanji, with assistance of the dictionary, and write and use approximately 400 Kanji.
- Converse easily with others in “daily life” settings.
- Read aloud and understand the sixth grade elementary school textbook.
- Use subtle expressions at the ending of words.