News and Information from the Dharma School
Sunday, December 5, 2021 @ 9:45am – An Author’s Visit with Katie Yamasaki
- Please email us for information on this event: DharmaSchoolBCO@gmail.com
Sunday, October 10th @ 10am – Virtual Online Event
The BCO Dharma School is holding a “Author’s Visit” Event with Joanna Ho, author of Playing at the Border: A Story of Yo-Yo Ma.
Sunday, October 10th @ 10am – Virtual Online Event.
7/11/2021 – 2021 Dharma School Registration
(Note: Onsite Dharma School schedule has not been finalized due to changing Covid-19 restrictions.)
The Buddhist Church of Oakland Dharma School will be starting our year in September and we extend our most cordial welcome to you.
Our first service of the year will be in September. We serve welcome coffee, juice, bagels and pastries in the Social Hall, available at 9:15 am before service. It’s a time when folks can chat with other members and catch up on news.
Our service, officiated by Rev. Harry Bridge, starts at 10:00am. Rev. Bridge is a young and energetic minister who tailors his Dharma Talks to the Dharma School children. Dharma School students then go to their classes. For the first Sunday, we spend a few minutes on a “welcome back activity” for all the Dharma School families before the students go to class.
We structure our classes based on the numbers of children registered. Classes are grouped as follows:
- Preschool through 2nd grade;
- 3rd through 5th grade;
- Middle School
- High School (supervised by Rev. Bridge).
Classes are dismissed usually around 11:45am.
The Dharma School is devoted to providing a relaxed, enjoyable introduction to Shin Buddhism, its teachings and practices. Our teachers dedicate their time to developing lessons, crafts, and experiences that we hope build a foundation for a Buddhist life. Some activities that are in addition to learning the teachings of the Buddha include:
- BCO Kids Club Events for Children
- Our annual October Halloween Party, haunted house and lunch
- Community Excursion
- Toy Drive – Toy Collection in collaboration with Oakland Fire Department
- Mochitsuki – the whole church gathers to make mochi in December
- Family Activity in the Spring
- Hanamatsuri Student Play
- Our Nikkoland Bazaar and Food Festival with two days of games and food open to the community on Father’s Day Weekend
- Family Day in July – A’s Game and Tailgater.
- Obon Festival with dancing and food in August
We would love to see you and hope you are able to join us.
Other Related Dharma School Websites
Dharma School – Oakland Fire Department Toy Drive