How to Live Longer Without Growing Older
Athletes in Aprons is an uncomplicated playbook that puts longevity in your control. But not an athlete, you say? Don’t be so sure you’re not. Being revered as an athlete doesn’t hinge on performance; it’s grounded in perseverance. Whether you’re a back-of-the-packer, cardiac patient, or cancer survivor, true athletes focus on commitment, crave being better than yesterday, and strive to finish. But in order to be more physical, more motivated, and more fun, you need to feed your body.
Learn what it takes to keep your heart, body, and brain working optimally, and discover why it’s never too early or too late to start. In fact, even if you already show signs of aging and chronic conditions, these effects can change. That’s because lifestyle matters.
Chronic diseases and disability, such as heart disease, dementia, diabetes, stroke, arthritis, and osteoporosis, were once synonymous with old age, but after over fifty years of research by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH), you can prevent or at least control certain diseases through the way you live.
Athletes in Aprons provides you with a game plan to upgrade your lifestyle and increase your longevity – specifically, your ‘functional’ longevity. Functional longevity is more than just living a long life. It’s living your BEST life. That means, even in your 70s, 80s, and 90s, you are still independent, and your mind is still sharp.
How do I know? I’m Karen Owoc, a clinical exercise physiologist in cardiopulmonary rehabilitation. I’ve rehabilitated hundreds of Veterans and sports enthusiasts after the onset of their cardiac event and associated diseases to where they felt more energetic and were stronger than they’d been in years. I wrote this book after decades of educating my patients, so you, too, can play as long as possible!
- “Karen Owoc is one of the many great humans – docs, nurses, surgeons, and Karen – that I credit for keeping me alive. I just shot the best round in years today!”
– Bob Schmidt / Open-Heart Surgery Survivor (triple bypass at age 58)
- “Karen really cares. She is motivating, very knowledgeable, and she’s fun. I lost 40 pounds…went off all medication and just on aspirin therapy now.”
– Kirk Brown / Cardiac Arrest Survivor (at age 59)
In this nutrition playbook, you’ll gain an understanding of the causes behind “growing old”, so you can adjust the way you live. I draw on published scientific studies and my expertise, which I present in a language that great sports minds comprehend – that is, just some straight talking from their coach (me) and no over-the-top technical jargon.
Athletes in Aprons includes:
- The top eight mechanisms that disrupt the healthy aging process
- An easy and effective plan designed to keep your body strong and functional
- A daily nutrition framework of essential foods to eat for optimum health and for supplementing your workouts
- 64 easy, whole food recipes
- Simple tactics that guide your eating patterns to boost your mental and physical agility and keep your body and brain young
- Quick tips and ‘cheat sheets’ to easily decipher food labels, rebuild muscle mass, and manage stress eating
- An extensive list of recommended cooking equipment and food staples to stock a longevity kitchen, and more!
Armed with the right training, tools, and tips, you can control how well you feel, curb how fast you age, and live your most functional life!
Your age is a given. Growing old is a choice.